Wolverine Hikes

People who know me know that I belong on the Trail. I've thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (three times, now),the Pacific Crest Trail and the mighty Continental Divide Trail. I've hiked many of the long trails here in Michigan including being the first to hike both the Ironwood Trail and the Great Lake To Lake Trail. In 2017, I hiked the Israel National Trail and the Golan Heights Trail. I was the first to hike the Baja Divide Trail in Mexico but failed miserably to thru-hike the Bruce Trail in Canada. In 2019, I hiked the TEMBR in Ecuador and 1,150 miles of the North Country Trail as it runs through my home state of Michigan.

The purpose of this blog is to keep anyone who is interested informed of my progress and to encourage those who are able to support me in these endeavors.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Animals on the INT

Another cop out. Instead of writing a thoughtful post, I'll just post a bunch of pics of all the wildlife I've seen on the trail. Sorry if any of these are repeats. 

 
Scarab Beetles. They're everywhere. 

 
Crazy green-headed lizard. 


 
Atheist goats. 

Ring-necked parakeet. I found out later that these are an invasive species that are competing for territory with indigenous species. 

 
Cheeseburger with flies. 

 
Veal. 

University of Maryland mascot. 

 
I've seen a few of these. Not sure what species they are but man, are they fast!

The Golden Jackel. I was curious about this animal before I came here. They turned out to just be the Israeli version of a coyote. I hear them howl almost every night. 

 
This is how fast I hike. 

This is the white-throated kingfisher. Their back is a brilliant blue. Lots of these on the Yarkon River heading into Tel Aviv. 

 
Lapwing. It's a type of plover - like a bigger version of a killdeer. Very noisy. 

 
 Jack or Jenny. I couldn't tell. 

 
Creepy dead lizard. 

 
 How do you keep a camel from running away? Tie his front legs together. 

What the hell? Why did I even take a picture of this?

 
 Giant locust. Remnant from the plague? 

 
Ibex. Lots of these in the desert. Like a cross between a deer and a mountain goat. 

 
Giant weird bug. 

 
Stank nasty hiker trash. This species is rare in the Middle East. Can be easily captured using coffee and wifi as bait. Warning: Emits a pungent odor. 

As usual, all of your comments are appreciated. Thank you!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You are too funny Chris... enjoy the rest of your hike and see you in about a month...

Unknown said...

The atheist goat was my personal favorite

Martha said...

Is the Golden Jackel dead? Are there raptors there? And thank you for not sharing any giant spiders.
I read recently that another way to trap the Stank Hiker is to set out beer. And wait. It will drink it's fill and then some. At that point it slows down enough for you to catch it and mount it's head over your fireplace.

Unknown said...

Cheeseburger with fries lol.... Giant spiders ??? Really ??? I will NEVER go there. Lol. Enjoy chris.

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks Lynda! See you soon!

Chris Hillier said...

They were at this weird hippie community out in the desert. Very friendly folks.

Chris Hillier said...

The jackel is dead. It must have just died when I found it - it's eyes and mouth were still wet. I watched it for a couple minutes to see if it was breathing. Poor thing.

Beer also makes good bait for a stank hiker but it may attract several and they won't leave. Be careful.

Chris Hillier said...

There are no giant spiders here. None that I've seen, anyway. Thanks for the comment, Pam!