Wolverine Hikes

People who know me know that I belong on the Trail. I've thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (three times, now),the Pacific Crest Trail and the mighty Continental Divide Trail. I've hiked many of the long trails here in Michigan including being the first to hike both the Ironwood Trail and the Great Lake To Lake Trail. In 2017, I hiked the Israel National Trail and the Golan Heights Trail. I was the first to hike the Baja Divide Trail in Mexico but failed miserably to thru-hike the Bruce Trail in Canada. In 2019, I hiked the TEMBR in Ecuador and 1,150 miles of the North Country Trail as it runs through my home state of Michigan.

The purpose of this blog is to keep anyone who is interested informed of my progress and to encourage those who are able to support me in these endeavors.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Pics, Pics and More Pics

I've seen so many amazing things over the past couple weeks that I can barely wrap my head around all of it, let alone write about it. Until I get my thoughts together, I hope you'll enjoy some random photographs from the Israel National Trail. 


 

Real Israeli craft beer! This delicious porter is from the Negev Brewing Company. 


 

A gift from my friends Itai and Yona. 



The trail blazes took a little getting used to but it's easier now: The INT follows the black trail to the left and the blue trail continues to the right. 



 

 A monument to a man who died out here from dehydration. A reminder that mistakes made in the Negev are quickly punished. 



 

I'm sure my cell phone camera does not do justice to this view. The Maktesh Katan (the 'small crater') was stunning to see but difficult to cross. 



 

In Detroit, when someone shows you their '67 Mustang, you think, "Wow... 50 years old!" These steps were carved into the rock by the Romans 2,300 years ago. Puts things into perspective. 



 

Again, hard to tell how massive this structure. It's called the Karbolet and it's basically a giant cliff turned up at 45 degrees. The trail takes you along the knife edge at the top. 



 

Nightmare takes Leave No Trace VERY seriously. He strapped this plastic car bumper to his pack and hiked it out. 



I am constantly reminded that this entire desert uses to be under water. Amolites and sea shells are everywhere. 



 

One of the few natural springs here in the desert. I had to dip into that cool cool water. 




 

 
My friend Denise looking majestic at the cliff's edge. 



What's the difference between a hiker and a homeless person? I'm not sure. In this country, we're both!



 
 The Afghan Fox (not my photo). These things are everywhere and they are BOLD. They have no problem sneaking into your campsite and stealing your food. 



The tomb of David Ben-Gurion. He was Israel's first Prime Minister and a super-genius. 



 
 Nightmare setting up his tarp before dark. On windy nights, he does a 'storm pitch'. 



 
More Ibex. I see them everywhere and I always stop to watch them. 



 
....for now. I'll post more pics again soon. 

I love comments! Please leave yours below. 

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Photos!!! I met this guy along the way, and he's a real.....Good guy;)
-N

Unknown said...

Awesome stuff!!! Keep it up!!!

Unknown said...

It looks Amazing Chris, can't wait to hear about your whole adventure...miss you, stay safe and enjoy your hike..

Unknown said...

This looks like an amazing hike! I'd love to see some of the foxes. Have you been taking any video?

Jerry Patterson said...

I love the pictures. It is as close to being with you as it gets.

Unknown said...

Oh WOW, what an amazing adventure. Love seeing this pictures. How wonderful that Nightmare cares that much about the trail. Blessings.

Suzanne Hollyer said...

Love the picture of the spring in the desert. The water looked a little green. Did you drink it as well as swim in it? Also very impressed that Nightmare hiked out a bumper? How do you suppose that got in there?

Chris Hillier said...

Natan! Thanks for leaving a comment! I'm in Arad today (Friday). Where are you guys? I will visit the Dead Sea today and hike out tomorrow (Saturday) morning.

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Jeff. You would not believe all the crazy stuff I'm seeing over here. We'll get together when I get back so I can tell you about it.

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Lynda. We'll resume the shenanigans as soon as I get back. Until then, don't let anyone touch Flooring and Furniture!

Chris Hillier said...

I have recorded a bunch of video but I need really good wifi to upload it. So far, I've only found spotty coverage. I'll post some soon.

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Jerry. That beer was good but it was no Flying Mouse!

Chris Hillier said...

This must be Becky. Thank you for the kind words. Yes, Nightmare is adamant about Leave No Trace. He's packed out tons of garbage included a metal chair.

Chris Hillier said...

Hey, Susie! That water was a little green. And gross. And there were huge 'oriental hornets' (I looked them up) buzzing all around but I simply could not resist. That pit could have been filled with kerosene and I still would have climbed in.
We sometimes find weird trash out here because of the flash floods that occur in the winter. They flood the wadis (dry river beds) and bring trash from miles away.
Thanks for leaving a comment!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you Chris.......and pleased that you are fulfilling a dream and having a great time!!! Look forward to hearing/seeing more of your adventure!!!

Teri L.

Chris Hillier said...

Thank you for the kind words!

Unknown said...

AMAZING PHOTOS.... I thoroughly enjoy your photos and words. Keep them coming. We miss you but happy for your adventure.

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Roberta. I've got some good posts coming soon but all I could manage was pictures for now.

Unknown said...

Hi Christopher.
I'm doing a promotional video for the trail and looking for cool people that are doing the trail right now.
If possible I would like to meet and join you for a part of the way.
How can i contact you?

Unknown said...

I'd like to have as many pictures as possible of Nightmare carrying out the garbage off the INT. It's important.

C U soon.

Yankale

Unknown said...

Hey chris your blog is awesome keep doin what your doin, man. I aspire your lifestyle!

Chris Hillier said...

I would love to. Email me at cbhillier2@gmail.com

Chris Hillier said...

I can send you many pics. We both embrace the LNT philosophy. I'll contact you when I'm leaving Jerusalem.

Chris Hillier said...

Thank you for the kind words!